Friday, November 28, 2008

The Fake Smile and Wave

So, I was driving to my parents yesterday for Thanksgiving. I'm doing a good 65 in a 55. This mini van comes up behind me and starts tailgating me, not just close, but super close, like a couple feet away. Being the "nice" person that I am, I had to resist a urge to slam the brakes really hard. We go through the "metropolis" of Malden. A whole, what, 12 buildings? The speed limit drops down to 35 so I slow way down. Speed limit picks up but I only go up to about 60. And by the time we came to county line road by the expo center, I was down to 45. She passed me by the stoplight as I turned left towards Wal-mart, a glare covering her shaking head. I perked my neck up, smiled really big, and did the silliest wave I could think of. Of course, she sped up only to be kept driving slow by the long line of cars that had been in front of me. I got a kick out, I was cracking up for so long. If people check the driver's manual, it states that the appropriate action when someone is tailgating you is to... that's correct, slow down.

Oh, and the other day I almost sideswiped a car that wouldn't yield. It's really amazing how many selfish, me-first people are out there.

Just smile and wave...

No comments: